|> Project member recruitment
BMLinkS Project Committee Regulations
Dec 11, 2003
BMLinkS Project Committee Rules
(Name of the Committee)
Article 1. The Committee is named as BMLinkS Project
Article 2. The Committee aims to realize an integrated
interface BMLinkS (Business Machine Linkage Service) that
remarkably enhances convenience of office appliances under
network environment and to promote its introduction into
office appliances. For this goal, the Committee intends to
engage in various activities such as specifications’
study/development, software development, feasibility tests,
information exchange, and promotion activities in order to
improve user convenience and intellectual work productivity
for those who use office appliances. The purpose also
targets contribution to the overall growth of business
machine and information system industries.
Article 3. The Committee pursues the following activities to
achieve the objectives stipulated in the foregoing Article
(1) BMLinkS specifications study/development;
(2) BMLinkS feasibility tests or Plug Fest, etc.;
(3) Certification of BMLinkS products;
(4) Information Exchange and promotion activities related to
(5) Other activities necessary to accomplish the purpose of
(Membership Classifications and Requirements)
Article 4. The Committee is composed of members of the
following three classifications, and the members of each
classification own the rights and obligations set forth
separately from those for the other members.
2. Board members are full members of Business Machine and
Information System Industries Association. All Rights
Reserved. (JBMIA), and perform activities in line with the
purpose and operate the Committee.
3. Regular members are regular members or patronage members
of JBMIA who agree to the purpose and activities of the
Committee and perform activities in line with the purpose.
4. Associate members are regular members or patronage
members of JBMIA who agree to the purpose and activities of
the Committee and perform activities in line with the
purpose from the standpoint of realizing various
applications except for implementing the Office Services on
the BMLinkS appliances.
Article 5. Board members shall be the regular members of
2. The board initially consists of member companies (the
Founders) of OA System Project Committee as of May 31, 2002,
which is the forerunner of the Committee.
3. The term of the Board membership is set to two years, and
Board members are to be reelected every other year. The
Regular members who are regular members of JBMIA can
announce candidacy for Board members at the time of
4. Management Committee defined in Article 9 decides and
approves final candidates for the new Board members out of
the Regular members who have announced candidacy, in
conformity with procedures separately set forth.
5. The Management Committee may decide and approve the final
candidates for new Board members out of the Regular members
who have announced candidacy at the timing other than the
reelection by following the procedures separately set forth
in Section 4 of this Article.
6. The approved final candidates for new Board members can
officially be Board members after submitting the signed IPR
Agreement for Board Members, except when the final
candidates are already Board members at the time of
7. The term of the Board membership shall be within the set
term regardless of the timing that the Board membership is
Article 6. Those who intend to be members of the Committee
shall submit application forms for admission set forth
separately, IPR agreements and written confirmations
regarding specifications and common software corresponding
to their membership requirements.
(Payment of Annual Membership Fee etc.)
Article 7. Members shall pay annual membership fee, which is
separately decided per fiscal year according to the
classification of membership.
2. The annual membership fee already paid by members is
non-refundable for any reason.
(Withdrawal and Expulsion from the Committee)
Article 8. Those who intend to withdraw from the Committee
shall submit written notice of the withdrawal.
2. If a member failed to pay the annual membership fee and
did not respond to a call for the payment, the member might
3. When the Management Committee judges that a member has
damaged credit of the Committee or has conducted any action,
which hampers activities of the Committee, the member may be
Article 9. The Management Committee consists of the Board
members. The Management Committee decides and approves the
(1) Basic strategy of the Committee;
(2) Management policies and rules for the Committee;
(3) Establishment of expert committees or subcommittees;
(4) Proposals, decision making and approvals regarding
specifications etc.; and
(5) Matters related to activities of the Committee other
than the above Subsections (1) to (4) of this Article.
2. One chairperson and three vice-chairpersons are to be
appointed for the Management Committee.
3. Regular members, Associate members, and Observers to whom
the Management Committee has given prior approval to
participate, can attend meetings of the Management Committee
in principle. However, these members and the Observers have
no right to propose, decide or approve any subject.
4. The chairperson or the vice-chairpersons for the
Management Committee, defined in Article 10, are authorized
to restrict Regular members, Associate members or Observers
to attend the meetings or to make remarks in the meetings in
the following situations: i) in cases where the subjects to
be discussed are limited by member class or member rights,
as predefined in Article 4 or ii) in cases where smooth and
appropriate proceedings of the meetings are required.
(Election of Chairperson and Vice-chairpersons for
Article 10. The chairperson and the vice-chairpersons for
the Management Committee are to be elected by mutual vote of
Board members, followed by approval from the Management
2. The chairperson represents the Committee.
3. The vice-chairpersons assist the chairperson. If the
chairperson is not capable of carrying out the duties, the
vice-chairperson designated by the chairperson is to perform
the duties of the chairperson.
4. Each of the terms of the chairperson and the
vice-chairpersons is set to two (2) years; however, this
does not preclude the possibility of reelection.
(Secretariat and Secretary)
Article 11. The Secretariat is to be established in order to
serve staff function of the Management Committee.
2. A candidate for the Secretary shall be a person
recommended by the chairperson of an expert committee or a
subcommittee or by a Board member.
3. A candidate for the Secretary becomes the Secretary by
fulfilling registration procedures set by the Board member
companies after approved by the Management Committee
4. The term of the Secretary is set to two years. This does
not preclude the possibility of reelection.
5. The Secretary can resign the position and also can be
replaced by another person in mid-course of the term of the
secretary in response to request by a Board member.
6. The term of a new secretary who has taken over is set to
the remaining period of the term of the predecessor.
(Expert committees, Subcommittees, Working Groups
(hereinafter referred to as "WG") etc.)
Article 12. The Expert committees and Subcommittees can be
established with approval of the Management Committee when
necessary to operate activities of the Committee.
2. The Working Group (WG) etc. can be established dependent
to an expert committee or a Subcommittee with approval of
the Management Committee when necessary to operate
activities of the Committee.
(Election of Vice-chairperson/Chief Officer and
Vice-chairpersons/Deputy Chief Officers of Expert Committee,
Article 13. The chairperson/chief officer and the
vice-chairpersons/deputy chief officers for the Expert
Committee, Subcommittee, WGs are to be elected by mutual
vote of the corresponding committee or WG, followed by
approval from the Management Committee.
2. The chairperson represents the corresponding committee,
subcommittee, or WG.
3. The vice-chairpersons/deputy chief officers assist the
chairperson/chief officer. If the chairperson/chief officer
is not capable of carrying out the duties, the
vice-chairperson/deputy chief officer designated by the
chairperson/chief officer is to perform the duties of the
4. Each of the terms of the chairperson/chief officer and
the vice-chairpersons/deputy chief officers is set to two
years; however, this does not preclude the possibility of
(Limitation of Participation in Expert Committees,
Article 14. In compliance with each section of Article 4,
the chairperson of an Expert Committees or a subcommittee is
authorized to restrict members’ participation in meetings of
the Expert Committee, the Subcommittee or the WG etc. as
well as selection of members’ names to put on mailing lists.
The chairperson is also authorized to restrict distribution
of specifications, common software or meeting materials.
2. In compliance with each section of Article 4, the
Management Committee is authorized to instruct the
chairperson of an Expert Committee or a Subcommittee to
restrict members’ participation in meetings of this
committee and WGs under this committee as well as selection
of members’ names to put on mailing lists. The Management
Committee is also authorized to instruct the above
chairperson to restrict distribution of specifications,
common software and materials. Also, the Management
Committee can lift the whole or part of the restriction
placed mainly by the expert committee or subcommittee as
stipulated in this Article.
3. When a member whose participation in this committee or
WGs under the committee is restricted in compliance with
this article and the foregoing Section 2 hereof intends to
request for removal of the whole or part of the restriction
for a reasonable ground, the member can appeal to the
Management Committee with a written statement of the
4. Upon receipt of the appeal, the Management Committee
judges whether the restriction by the chairperson of the
subcommittee is reasonable or not. When judging it
unreasonable, the Management Committee makes a decision to
affirm the whole or part of the appeal.
5. The chairperson of the expert committee or the
subcommittee who has received the decision described in the
foregoing Section 4 hereof shall take an immediate measure
as required in accordance with the above-mentioned decision.
Article 15. The Staff Office is established for the
2. The Staff Office is placed within JBMIA.
Article 16. In principle, membership fee is allotted to
expenses necessary for operation of the Committee.
2. When some expenses are beyond the amount of annual
membership fee in order to execute necessary activities as
part of the activities for the Committee, contributions of
the Board members and the Regular members can be collected
in addition to the annual membership fee stipulated in the
foregoing section so as to cover such expenses.
3. Expenses incurred for an event, where some members join
as part of the activities for the Committee, can be covered
by charging extra contributions to the members participating
in the event, in addition to annual membership fee or the
contributions described in the preceding section, as a
result of considering the purpose of and foreseeable
benefits from such an event.
Article 17. The fiscal year of the Committee begins on April
1st every year and ends on March 31st of the following year.
2. Accounting report shall be made to all members.
(Establishment of Rules, Bylaws)
Article 18.  For more appropriate activity purposes, the
Expert Committees or the Subcommittees, co-working with the
IPR & Legal Expert Committee, can set up a necessary rule or
a bylaw under the BMLinkS Project Committee Rules. The rule
or the bylaw becomes effective after the approval of the
1. Revised rules are to be effected on and after Dec 11,